Babies Learn to Swim: 2-30 Months
Learning Through Play
Waterbabies classes are about having fun through aquatic play and allows you, the parent/carer to learn all about swimming and water safety along with your child.
The benefits of baby swimming are unique, uplifting and contribute not only to swimming but to the positive development of your child.
Our classes are designed to provide a caring and nurturing place in which to give your little waterbaby a fun, relaxed and enjoyable environment to experience the joys of water.
Songs, games and skills are gently interwoven together and are designed to slowly begin the process of water familiarisation for your little waterbaby. Parents and children can experience relaxed, uninterupted time together learning to swim and play all year round in our 32 degree indoor heated pool.
Our Waterbabies classes as divided into three seperate groups based on age. Baby Splash classes are for 2-4 months, Waterbabies 1 for 4-18 months and Waterbabies 2 classes for 18-30 months.
Baby Splash (Free)
Baby Splash is a wonderful way to introduce your baby to the water, meet other new parents and provides a safe and warm environment to allow your baby to begin developing sensory skills to assist in all aspects of life. Our classes are designed to provide a caring and nurturing place in which to give your little waterbaby a gentle, relaxed and enjoyable environment to experience the joys of water.
Your Baby Splash Instructor will guide you through a variety of introductory skills such as:
- How to hold your baby in the water
- Introducing water to your new baby
- Learning to move confidently with your baby in the pool
- Introducing sensory exploration
4 - 18 Months
In Waterbabies 1 we introduce important water skills such as submerging, floating, holding poolside and kicking. Classes are designed with age group specific developmental activities that cater for this age groups cognitive, personal and motor development range. Children in this age group begin to establish control over their posture and enjoy exploring the movement that the water enviroment allows them. Parents are a critical element in this class as they support and encourage their baby through close contact and touch. Water Safety Skills are always a key element in our Learn To Swim Program.
In the Waterbaby 1 class we teach the parent & the child to be safe in and around the water by introducing age appropriate water safety skills such as:
- Safe entry & exit from water
- Short submerge
- Assisted floating
- Kicking and digging
- Safety skills
18 Months - 2½ Years
Waterbabies 2 classes teach water awareness and respect as our little ones begin to experiment with their independence. We continue to work on Waterbabies 1 skills and introduce independent swimming with a backpack, jumping into the pool and longer submerges. Waterbabies 2 teaches respect for the water by developing waiting and listening skills.
Activities in this class are designed to encourage this age group to develop their motor control by providing them with plenty of opportunities to explore on their own.
Water Safety Skills are always a key element in our Learn To Swim Program. In the Waterbaby 2 class we teach the parent & the child to be safe in and around the water by introducing age appropriate water safety skills such as:
- Safe entry & exit from water
- Self submerge
- Unassisted floating with a board
- Independent swimming with a backpack
- Safety skills
What do I need to bring to our Swimming Lessons?
- SWIM NAPPY: Children who are not toilet trained will need to wear a waterproof swim nappy. You can purchase your own disposable swim nappies from the supermarket or visit our swim shop at the centre and help us to reduce waste and save the environment by purchasing a re-usable one for $25.
- BABY SWIM TOP: The water is always heated to 32C and there is no wind or sun issues as we are indoors. However, we advise that babies wear a swim top during lessons to help give them that extra layer of warmth until they are older and can regulate their own body temperature better.
- TOWEL: After swimming you can head to our changerooms where we have a large rinse off area with plenty of warm water. Dry & wrap your baby up, head to a change table and dress them exactly as you would after they have had a bath at home.
- BEANIE: In cooler weather we advise all our parents to keep their children extra warm by popping a beanie on their head before going out into the cold winter air.
- T-SHIRT FOR PARENT: We ask all our parents to wear a t-shirt to swimming as during some of our activities we teach the children to become independent and improve their grip by holding onto the t-shirt.
- FEEDING: You are more than welcome to relax in our Parent Viewing Room or in the foyer by our Poolside Coffee Shop to feed your baby after lessons. Swimming works up quite an appetite and babies will love a feed and a big nap after their lesson.
CLASS LEVEL ASSESSMENT!!
Fill in your details below and one of our experienced Swim School specialists will contact you to arrange a complimentary assessment