4 - 18 Months
Waterbabies classes are about having fun through aquatic play and allows you, the parent/carer to learn all about swimming and water safety along with your child.
The benefits of baby swimming are unique, uplifting and contribute not only to swimming but to the positive development of your child.
Our classes are designed to provide a caring and nurturing place in which to give your little waterbaby a fun, relaxed and enjoyable environment to experience the joys of water.
Songs, games and skills are gently interwoven together and are designed to slowly begin the process of water familiarisation for your little waterbaby. Parents and children can experience relaxed, uninterupted time together learning to swim and play all year round in our 32 degree indoor heated pool.
Waterbabies 1: 4 months - 18 months
Waterbabies 1 provides water familiarisation through songs and games. We introduce important water skills such as submerging, floating, holding poolside and kicking. Classes are designed with age group specific developmental activities that cater for this age groups cognitive, personal and motor development range.
Children in this age group begin to establish control over their posture and enjoy exploring the movement that the water enviroment allows them. Parents are a critical element in this class as they support and encourage their baby through close contact and touch.
Water Safety Skills are always a key element in our Learn To Swim Program. In the Waterbaby 1 class we teach the parent & the child to be safe in and around the water by introducing age appropriate water safety skills such as:
- Treading water
- Safe entry & exit from the water
- Techniques for clothed swimming survival
- Use of devices to aid rescue
- Basic swimming skills
What do I need to bring to our Waterbaby 1 Swimming Lessons?
- SWIM NAPPY: Children who are not toilet trained will need to wear a waterproof swim nappy. You can purchase your own disposable swim snappies from the supermarket or visit our swim shop at the centre and help us to reduce waste and save the environment by purchasing a re-usable one.
- BABY SWIM TOP: The water is always heated to 32C and there is no wind or sun issues as we are indoors. However, we advise that babies wear a swim top during lessons to help give them that extra layer of warmth until they are older and can regulate their own body temperature better.
- TOWEL: After swimming you will head to our changerooms where we have a large rinse off area with plenty of warm water. Dry & wrap your baby up, head to a change table and dress them ready for outdoors exactly as you would after they have had a bath at home.
- BEANIE: In cooler weather we advise all our parents to keep their children extra warm by popping a beanie on their head before going out into the cold winter air.
- T-SHIRT FOR PARENT: We ask all our parents to wear a t-shirt to swimming as during some of our activities we teach the children to become independantand improve their grip by holding onto the t-shirt.
- FEEDING: You are more than welcome to relax in our Parent Viewing Room or in the foyer by our Poolside Coffee Shop to feed your baby after lessons. Swimming works up quite an appetite and babies will love a feed and a big nap after their lesson.
Things you need to know about baby swimming:
- All waterbabies are required to have a parent/guardian in the pool with them.
- Children who are not toilet trained are required to wear a waterproof nappy.
- Throughout the waterbabies class your child will receive different certificates for achieving skills. Your baby's photo will appear on some of the certificates providing a lovely photographic memory for you and your family for years to come.
- Babies can start swimming lessons at 4 months old however, a baby needs to be at least 6 months old before learning to submerge under the water.
- Through a system of teaching and repeating skills babies are taught to hold their breath, float on their back, hold the side of the pool and kick their legs.
- As babies developmental skills increase so does their ability to kick and paddle their arms and begin to learn to swim with a backpack.
- All children develop and achieve at different stages. Enjoy every moment as each small step is one closer to success at swimming.
- If your baby has been unwell and you would prefer not to submerge, please tell your instructor.
- Our instructors are qualified and experienced in teaching young babies to swim. Join a class today and discover the joys and benefits of waterbabies.
|Monday||9.00am - 11.00am
3.30pm - 6.00pm
|Tuesday||9.00am - 11.00am
3.30pm - 7.00pm
|Wednesday||9.00am - 12.00pm
3.30pm - 7.00pm
|Thursday||9.00am - 11.00am
3.30pm - 6.00pm
|Friday||9.00am - 11.00am
3.30pm - 6.00pm
|Saturday||9.00am - 12.30pm|
|Sunday||9.00am - 12.00pm|
|Class||Per Lesson||Block of ten|
Blocks are transferable but NOT refundable
MAKE-UP LESSON POLICY
If you hold a permanent spot in our Swim School you have the option to 'Make-Up' any lessons you have missed before the end of the next block. Missed lessons not made up by the end of the following block will expire. If you are paying lesson by lesson you also have the option to pay a 'Holding Fee' for the lesson you have missed rather than doing a Make-Up.